In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayton like this:
CLAYTON, a township in Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford; adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 2 miles SW of Stoke. Pop., 149. Houses, 30.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle under Lyme. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayton, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clayton".