In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chesterton like this:
CHESTERTON, a township in Wolstanton parish, and a chapelry in Wolstanton and Audley parishes, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the North Stafford railway and the Grand Trunk canal, 2 miles WNW of Burslem; and has a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent. Real property, £5, 506; of which £1, 000 are in mines. Pop., 2, 459. Houses, 500. The property is much sub-divided. A castle stood here before the Conquest; but has disappeared. The chapelry consists of the township, with part of Audley parish; and was constituted in 1846. Pop., 4, 067. Houses, 847. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is recent, in the early English style, with handsome tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and other Methodists.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chesterton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle under Lyme. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chesterton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesterton, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chesterton".