In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chebsey like this:
CHEBSEY, a township and a parish in Stone district, Stafford. The township lies on the river Sow and on the Grand Junction railway, 1¼ mile S of Norton-Bridge station, and 2 E of Eccleshall. Real property, £7, 102. Pop., 472. Houses. 94. The parish contains also the township of Cold-Norton; and its post town is Eccleshall. Acres, 4, 172. Real property, £8, 900. Pop., 514. Houses, 99. The manor belonged to the Hastings family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £285.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church is old; and the churchyard formerly had a curious obelisk.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chebsey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stafford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chebsey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chebsey, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chebsey".