In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheadle like this:
CHEADLE, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Stafford. The town stands in a valley, environed by high hills, near the river Tean and the Uttoxeter canal, 3 miles W by S of Oakamoor r. station, and 9 ESE of Stoke-upon-Trent. It has a post office‡ under Stafford, a banking office, three chief inns, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic church, a Free school, a national school, and a workhouse; and is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place. The parish church was built in 1837; is in the decorated English style; and has a fine stained glass eastern window. ...
The Roman Catholic church was built in 1843-6, by the Earl of Shrewsbury, after designs by Pugin, at a cost of about £60, 000; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chapels, with a fine western tower and spire, 200 feet high. Markets are held on Fridays; and fairs on 7 Jan., 25 March, Holy Thursday, 4 July, 21 Aug., and 18 Oct. Tape-making, malting, rope-making, and leather-dressing, are carried on. Pop., 3, 191. Houses, 701. The parish includes also the hamlets of Freehay, Cheadle-Grange, Cheadle-Mill, Brookistoue, Huntley, and part of Oakamoor. Acres, 6, 701. Real property, £18, 696; of which £1, 872 are in mines. Pop., 4, 803. Houses, 1, 034. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron-stone abound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £438.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The chapelries of Freehay and Oakamoor are separate benefices. Charities, £63.The sub-district contains also part of Checkley parish. Acres, 12, 344. Pop. 7, 107. Houses, 1, 541. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Alton, containing the parishes of Alton, Cauldon, and Bradley-in-the-moors; the sub-district of Ipstones, containing the parishes of Ipstones, Kingsley, Cheddleton, and part of Checkley; and the sub-district of Dilhorne, containing the parishes of Dilhorne, Caverswall, and Draycott-in-the-moors. Acres, 55, 146. Poor-rates, £5, 275. Pop. in 1841, 17, 859; in 1861, 20, 988. Houses, 4, 390. Marriages, 146; births, 657, -of which 54 were illegitimate; deaths, 353, -of which 100 were at ages under 3 years, and 15 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 379; births, 6, 682; deaths, 4, 065. The places of worship in 1851 were 20 of the Church of England, with 7, 627 sittings; 5 of Independents, With 797 s.; 14 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2, 030 s.; 2 of New Connexion Methodists, with 381 s.; 12 of Primitive Methodists, with 1, 382 s.; and 4 of Roman Catholics, with 1, 670 s. The schools were 30 public day schools, with 2, 723 scholars; 26 private day schools, with 460 s.; 40 Sunday schools, with 3, 239 s.; and 3 evening schools for adults, with 73 s.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cheadle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Staffordshire Moorlands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cheadle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheadle in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cheadle".