In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butterton like this:
BUTTERTON, a township-chapelry in Mayfield parish, Stafford; 5½ miles ENE of Cheddleton r. station, and 6 E of Leek. Post Town, Warslow, under Ashbourne. Acres, 1,940. Real property, £3,843. Pop., 325. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £90. Patron, the Vicar of Mayfield. The church has a tower, and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £37.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Butterton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Staffordshire Moorlands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Butterton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butterton in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Butterton".