In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hargrave like this:
HARGRAVE, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands near the boundary with Beds and Hunts, 2½ miles E of Raunds r. station, and 5½ SSE of Thrapston; and has a post-office under St. Neots. The parish comprises 2,400 acres. Real property, £1,642. Pop., 310. Houses, 71. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. R. S. Baker. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300.* Patron, the Executors of the late Rev. W. L. Baker. The church is of the 13th century; and consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and N transept, with tower and spire. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hargrave has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hargrave and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hargrave in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hargrave".