In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crompton like this:
CROMPTON, a township and a sub-district in Oldham district, Lancashire. The township is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough; lies near the Oldham and the Rochdale railways, 3 miles N of Oldham; contains the villages of High-Crompton, Cowlishall, and Shaw, the last of which has a post office under Oldham; and is divided into the chapelries of East Crompton and Shaw. Acres, 2, 864. Real property, £22, 972; of which £2, 779 are in mines, £1, 060 in quarries, and £350 in gas-works. Pop., 7, 032. Houses, 1, 460. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and in large cotton mills. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Crompton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oldham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Crompton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crompton, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crompton".