In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whepstead like this:
WHEPSTEAD, a parish, with a village, in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 4½ miles SSW of Bury-St. Edmunds r. station. It has a post-office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2,670. Real property, £4,281. Pop., 677. Houses, 140. The property is much subdivided. Plumpton House is the seat of W. R. Bevan, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £600.* Patron, A. R. Steele, Esq. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £35 a year, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whepstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whepstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whepstead, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whepstead".