In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eye like this:
EYE, a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton; adjacent to Catswater, and to the Peterborough and Lynn railway, 3¼ miles N of Peterborough. It has a post office under Peterborough, and a r. station. Acres, 2, 670. Real property, £6, 410. Pop., , 375. Houses, 329. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £312.* Patron, the Bishop of P. The church was rebuilt in 1846, and has a lofty spire of 1862. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school. .
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eye has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Peterborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eye and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eye, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eye".