In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton under Needwood like this:
BARTON-UNDER-NEEDWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The village stands near Icknield-street, the Grand Trunk canal, the river Trent, and the Birmingham and Derby railway, 1 mile W of Barton and Walton station, and 5½ SW of-Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post office‡ under Burton-upon-Trent; is in the honour of Tutbury, and a seat of courts; and has fairs on 3 May and 28 Nov. Several fine villas are in the neighbourhood. The chapelry includes the village, and is in the parish of Tatenhill. ...
Acres, 3,520. Real property, £12,054. Pop., 1,589. Houses, 359. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £135.* Patron, the Dean of Lichfield. The church is later English; and was built, in the time of Henry VIII., by Dr. John Taylor, a native of the village. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Two endowed schools have £60, and other charities £39.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton under Needwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Staffordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton under Needwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton under Needwood in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton under Needwood".