Place:


Walton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walton like this:

WALTON, a parish, with a village, in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; 3½ miles NW of Harwich r. station. It has a post-office‡. under Ipswich, and a ferry across the Orwell to Harwich. Acres, 1,988. Real property, £5,663. Pop., 988. Houses, 225. The manor belongs to the Duke of Hamilton. ...


Orwell House and Coldham are chief residences. W. Castle stood on a sea-cliff; dated from the time of the Romans; was rebuilt by R. Bigod, and ruined by Henry II.; and suffered gradual undermining and eventual extinction by the sea. Roman coins, urns, rings, and other relics have been found. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Rochester abbey, was founded here by R. Bigod; and went, after the dissolution, to successively Cardinal Wolsey, the Duke of Norfolk, and T. Leckford. The living is a vicarage, united with Felixstow, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £290.* Patron, Mrs. Wilkinson. The church is early English. There is a national school.

Walton through time

Walton is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7845

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walton ".