In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurston like this:
THURSTON, a parish, with a village, in Stow district, Suffolk; on the Eastern Union railway, 4½ miles E of Bury-St. Edmunds. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2,200. Real property, £4,521. Pop., 740. Houses, 157. T. House is the seat of J. B. Blake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £250.* Patron, the Rev. P. M. Stedman. The church was rebuilt in 1861. Charities, £52.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thurston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Suffolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thurston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurston in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thurston".