In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton like this:
UPTON, a parish, with a village, in Southwell district, Notts; 2 miles E of Southwell r. station. It has a post-office under Southwell, and contains Southwell workhouse. Acres, 1,440. Real property, £3,821. Pop., 587. Houses, 120. The property is much subdivided. U. Hall is the seat of P. R. Falkner, Esq. There are corn mills and a brick and tile kiln. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Chapter of Southwell. The church is old, and has been recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £68.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newark and Sherwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upton".