In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tuxford like this:
TUXFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands ¾ of a mile W of the Great Northern railway, and 7 S by E of East Retford; was greatly devastated by a fire in 1702, and mainly rebuilt afterwards; carries on malting, nail-making, and brick-making; and has a post-office‡ under Newark, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, an ancient church in good repair, a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £49 a year, a national school, charities £60, a weekly market on Monday, and fairs on 12 May and 2 Oct. ...
The parish comprises 3,000 acres. Real property, £5,934; of which £70 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,211; in 1861, 1,034. Houses, 243. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £260.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge.The sub-district contains 16 parishes and a part. Acres, 25,039. Pop., 4,998. Houses, 1,116.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tuxford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bassetlaw. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tuxford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tuxford, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tuxford".