In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Syerston like this:
SYERSTON, a parish in Southwell district, Notts: 3¼ miles ESE of Thurgarton r. station. Post town, Newark. Acres, 610. Real property, £2,032. Pop., 196. Houses, 44. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to G. H. Fillingham, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to East Stoke. The church is ancient.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Syerston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newark and Sherwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Syerston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Syerston, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Syerston".