In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Syleham like this:
SYLEHAM, a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk; on the river Waveney, 3½ miles SW of Harleston r. station. Post town, Scole. Acres, 1,603. Real property, £2,967. Pop., 357. Houses, 64. The property is subdivided. S. Hall is the seat of the Rev. A. Cooper. There is a linen factory. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £88.* Patron, L. Press, Esq. The church is ancient but good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Syleham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Suffolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Syleham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Syleham in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Syleham".