Place:


Sturton le Steeple  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sturton le Steeple like this:

STURTON, a parish, with a village and a hamlet, in East Retford district, Notts; on the Manchester and Lincolnshire railway, 6 miles ENE of East Retford. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Retford. Acres, 4,610. Real property, £5,492. Pop., 583. Houses, 124. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, 324.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church is Norman and early English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £43.

Sturton le Steeple through time

Sturton le Steeple is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sturton le Steeple itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sturton le Steeple, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7772

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sturton le Steeple ".