In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:
SUTTON, a parish, with a village, in Woodbridge district, Suffolk; on the river Deben, 3 miles SE of Woodbridge r. station. It has a post-office under Wood-bridge. Acres, 6,410; of which 430 are water. Real property, £4,570. Pop. in 1851, 732; in 1861, 618. Houses, 127. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to T. Waller, Esq. Wood Hall is the seat of R. V. Edwards, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £431.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late J. Nixon, Esq. The church was restored in 1860. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sutton".