In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shelford like this:
SHELFORD, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands near the river Trent, 2 miles NNE of Ratcliffe r. station, and 3½ WNW of Bingham; and has a postal pillar-box under Nottingham. The township contains also part of Newton hamlet. Pop., 597. Houses, 133. The parish contains a1so the township of Saxondale, and comprises 3,560 acres. Real property, £7,342. Pop., 692. Houses, 155. The manor belongs to the Earl of Chesterfield. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Ralph de Hanselyn; and went, at the dissolution, to the Stanhopes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £60. Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is good; and there are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and three alms houses.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shelford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rushcliffe. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shelford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shelford, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shelford".