In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scrooby like this:
SCROOBY, a parish, with a village, in East Retford district, Notts; on the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile S of Bawtry. It has a r. station. Acres, 1, 520. Post-town, Bawtry. Real property, £2, 980. Pop., 256. Houses, 61. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York; and the manor-house was a palace of the Arch-bishops. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Sutton-on-Lound, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is early English; and has a pinnacled tower, and a lofty spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Scrooby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bassetlaw. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Scrooby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scrooby, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scrooby".