Place:


Ossington  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ossington like this:

OSSINGTON, a village and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands 2½ miles W N W of Carlton r. station, and 4 S S E of Tuxford; and has apostal letter-box under Newark. The parish comprises 2, 265 acres. Real property, £2, 515. Pop., 231. Houses, 42. The manor, with Ossington Hall, belonged formerly to the Cartwrights and the Cranmers, and belongs now to the Right Hon. ...


J. E. Denison. The parish is a meet for the Rufford hounds. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, not reported. Patron, the Right Hon. J. E. Denison. The church is a neat building, in the Grecian style; and has a tower. There is a parochial school.

Ossington through time

Ossington is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ossington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ossington, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7722

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ossington ".