In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tettenhall like this:
TETTENHALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wolverhampton district, Stafford. The village stands on the Stafford and Birmingham canal, 2 miles WNW of Wolverhampton r. station; contains many good houses; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton. The parish was formerly divided into T.-Regis and T.-Clericorum; includes the chapelry of T.-Wood, constituted in 1866; and contains 7 liberties or hamlets. Acres, 7,600. Real property, £28,717. Pop. in 1851, 3,396; in 1861, 3,716. ...
Houses, 781. Hardware manufacture is carried on. A battle, very disastrous to the Danes, was fought here in 907 or 910. Both the head living and that of T.-Wood are vicarages in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of the former, £216;* of the latter, £300. Patron of both, Lord Wrottesley. The parochial church is early English and was once collegiate. T.-Wood church was built in 1866, and is in the decorated English style. Charities, £84.The sub-district contains 3 parishes, and comprises 14,222 acres. Pop., 6,046. Houses, 1,292.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tettenhall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wolverhampton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tettenhall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tettenhall, in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tettenhall".