In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Somerton like this:
SOMERTON, a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk; 8 miles NNW of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 1,040. Real property, £1,600. Pop., 153. Houses, 29. S. Hall is the seat of J. E. Hale, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £207.* Patron, the Marquis of Downshire. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Somerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Somerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Somerton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Somerton".