In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Snape like this:
SNAPE, a village and a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Alde, 3½ miles S by E of Saxmundham r. station; bears the name of S.-Street; and has a post-office of the name of S. under Saxmundham. The parish contains also the hamlet of S.-Bridge, which has a horse fair on 11 Aug. Acres, 2,100. Real property, £2,219. Pop., 554. Houses, 124. S. House is the seat of J. Scarlett, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Colchester, was founded here, in 1099, by W. ...
Martell; was given, by Henry VII., to Butley abbey; went, at the dissolution, to the Duke of Norfolk; and is now a farmhouse. A branch railway, for goods only, comes to S.-Bridge. There are two barrows. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Friston-The church has a rich later English nave, and a Norman tower; and was restored in 1864. There are a national school, and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Snape has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Snape and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Snape in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Snape".