In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sibton like this:
SIBTON, a parish in Blything district, Suffolk; 2½ miles WNW of Yoxford r. station, and 4½ N by W of Saxmundham. Post town, Yoxford, under Saxmundham. Acres, 2,861. Real property, £4,824. Pop., 489. Houses, 101. S. Park is the seat of J. W. Brooke, Esq. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1149, by William de Cheney; was a splendid edifice; and has left some ruins. The living is a vicarage, united with Peasenhall, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £.200.* Patron, J. W. Brooke, Esq. The church is old but good. There are an endowed school with £28 a year, and charities £65.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sibton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sibton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sibton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sibton".