In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clopton like this:
CLAPTON, a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles E of Thorpe r. station, and 4½ ENE of Thrapston. Post town, Thrapston. Acres, 1, 946. Real property, £2, 432. Pop., 153. Houses, 29. Clapton Hall belonged to the Fonneraus, and passed to the Williamses. Liveden House is the ruin of a Tudor mansion, built by the Treshams. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £154.* Patrons, G. and W. G. Shedden, Esqs. The church is neat and good; formerly had a tower, which was destroyed by lightning; and contains monuments of the Dudleys. Charities, £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clopton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clopton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clopton in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clopton".