In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Cliffe like this:
CLIFFE (Kings), or Cliffe-Regis, a village and a parish in Oundle district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 5½ miles W of Elton r. station, and 7 NNW of Oundle; has a post office‡ under Wansford; was once a market-town; and has still a fair on 29 Oct. The parish comprises 4, 460 acres. Real property, £4, 666. Pop., 1, 360. Houses, 298. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £700.* Patron, the Earl of Westmoreland. The church is cruciform, with central tower; and was restored in 1863. There are four dissenting chapels, two free schools, a national school, and alms-houses.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kings Cliffe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kings Cliffe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Cliffe in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kings Cliffe".