Place:


Great Saxham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Saxham like this:

SAXHAM (Great), a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 2 miles S S W of Saxham r. station, and 5 W by S of Bury, St. Edmunds. It has a post-office under Bury, St. Edmunds. Acres, 1, 428. Real property, £2,085. Pop., 270. Houses, 54. The manor belonged to Buryabbey; passed to the Eldreds; and, with S. Hall and most of the land, belongs now to the Mills family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £370. Patron, T. Mills, Esq. The church is ancient but good. There are a parochial school, and charities £21.

Great Saxham through time

Great Saxham is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Saxham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Saxham, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7655

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Saxham ".