In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalcombe like this:
CHALCOMBE, or Chacombe, a parish in the district of Banbury and county of Northampton; adjacent to the river Cherwell, near the Oxford and Rugby and the Buckinghamshire railways, 3¾ miles NE of Banbury. It has a post office under Banbury. Acres, 1,694. Real property, £4,213. Pop., 468. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. A priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Hugh de Chacombe; and given, at the dissolution, to the Foxes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £250.* Patron, W. Martin, Esq. The church is chiefly decorated English; has a porch and a tower; and contains a fine Norman font and a brass of 1500. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chalcombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chalcombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalcombe in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chalcombe".