In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rougham like this:
ROUGHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands 1½ mile Sby W of Thurston r. station, and 4 E S E of Bury, St. Edmunds; and has a post-office under Bury, St. Edmunds. The parish comprises 3, 840 acres. Real property, £6,088. Pop. in 1851, 1,079; in 1861, 988. Houses, 210. The manor was given, by Ulfketel the Saxon, to Bury abbey; went, in the time of Henry VII., to the Drurys; and, with R. Hall, belongs now to P. Bennet, Esq. The Hall is a splendid brick mansion, in the Gothic and Tudor styles; has a Gothic portico in the Efront, and lofty towers at the E and the W wings; and stands in an extensive park, containing some of thefinest oaks in Suffolk. ...
There are several other goodresidences. The parish is a meet for the Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £850.* Patron, P. Bennet, Esq. The church is good. There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school with £50a year, and charities £103.The sub-district contains also 15 other parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 26, 113. Pop., 6, 185. Houses, 324.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rougham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rougham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rougham, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rougham".