In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Buckby like this:
BUCKBY (Long), a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands near the head of the river Nen, 1¾ mile E of Watling-street, 2 miles SE of Crick r. station, and 5½ NE of Daventry; and has a post office‡ under Rugby. The parish includes also part of the hamlet of Murcott. Acres, 3,900. Real property, £11,180. Pop., 2,500. Houses, 570. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists. A school has £42 from endowment; and other charities £32. The subdistrict contains eight parishes. Acres, 20,188. Pop., 5,757. Houses, 1,332.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Long Buckby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Daventry. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Long Buckby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Buckby, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Long Buckby".