In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:
BROUGHTON, a parish in Kettering district, Northampton; on an affluent of the river Nen, near the Leicester and Bedford railway, 3 miles SW of Kettering. It has a post office under Wellingborough. Acres, 2,560. Real property, 3,791. Pop., 738. Houses, 175. Most of the property is divided among three. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £394.* Patron, the Duke of Buccleuch. The church is partly Norman, and was restored in 1854. There are a Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £13. R. Botton, the puritan, was a native and rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broughton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kettering. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broughton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton, in Kettering and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broughton".