In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rendlesham like this:
RENDLESHAM, a village and a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Deben, 2¼ miles N E of Melton r. station, and 3 S S E of Wickham-Market; was anciently called Redwaldsham, signifying Redwald's Town; took that name from being the seat of the East Anglian king Redwald; was the seat also of other East Anglian kings; was also, at alater period, a market-town; and now gives the title of Baron to the family of The llusson. The parish comprises 2,020 acres; and its post town is Wickham-Market. ...
Real property, £2, 626. Pop., 359. Houses, 70. The manor was held by Fitz-Otho; passed to the Furneuxs and others; went afterwards to the Spencers, the Hamiltons, and others; and belongs now to Lord Rendlesham. R. Hall is Lord R.'s seat; was rebuilt, in the pointed style, about 1780; was destroyed by fire about 1855; and has been rebuilt on a smaller scale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £420.* Patron, the Crown. The church is old but good; and contains some fine monuments of the The llussons. There are a free school, and charities £13. Henley, the scholar, was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rendlesham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rendlesham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rendlesham in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rendlesham".