In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pakefield like this:
PAKEFIELD, a village and a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk. The village stands on the coast, 2 miles S S W of Lowestoft r. station; and has a post-office under Lowestoft. The parish comprises 686 acres of land and 85 of water. Real property, £2,056. Pop., 768. Houses, 182. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Reeve, Esq. The coast is very dangerous, and has suffered considerable encroachment by the sea. A life-boat establishment is here; and a lighthouse was erected in 1832, showing a fixed light 68 feet high, and visible at the distance of 9 miles. ...
Bloodmere hill is said to have been the scene of a battle with the Danes; iscrowned with a barrow; and, in 1780, yielded a number of pieces of ancient armour. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £186.* Patron, the Church Patronage Society. The church is ancient but good; comprises two quondam churches, forming adouble aisle; has a thatched roof and an embattled tower; and contains an octagonal font, a silver chalice of 1337, and two brasses of 1417 and 1451. There are a Quakers'chapel, a national school, and charities £31.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pakefield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waveney. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pakefield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pakefield, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pakefield".