In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Otley like this:
OTLEY, a village and a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands 5¼ miles N N E of Westerfield r. station, and 6 N W by N of Woodbridge; and has a post-office under Ipswich. The parish comprises 2, 157acres. Real property, £4, 215. Pop., 615. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Abergavenny and G. Rebow, Esq. An old entrenchment is in the S. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £670.* Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. The church is in fine pointed architecture; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a monument to a Gosnold. There are a Baptist chapel and a commodious school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Otley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Otley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Otley in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Otley".