In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Muskham like this:
MUSKHAM (South), a village and a parish in Southwell district, Notts. The village stands adjacent to the Great Northern railway, and near the river Trent, 2½ miles N by w of Newark; and has a post-office under Newark. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Carlton. Acres, 2, 631. Real property, £4, 107. Pop., 277. Houses, 54. Most of the property belongs to Lord Middleton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln Value, £140. Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Muskham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newark and Sherwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Muskham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Muskham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Muskham".