In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Markham like this:
MARKHAM (EAST), a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile NNW of Tuxford r. station; is a pretty place; and has a post office, of the name of Markham, under Newark. The parish includes also the hamlets of Markham-Moor and Sipthorpe-Place, and comprises 2,820 acres. Real property, £5,547. Pop. in 1851,956; in 1861,807. Houses, 189. The decrease of pop. was chiefly caused by the removal of labourers employed on railway works. ...
The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Newcastle. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of West Drayton, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £334. * Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty embattled tower; and contains some old monuments and armorial paintings, and a tomb of Judge Markham who died in 1409. There are a chapel for Wesleyans, a slightly endowed school, and charities £34.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Markham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bassetlaw. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Markham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Markham, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Markham".