In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:
NORTON, a village and a parish in Stow district, Suffolk. The village stands 2¼ miles N W of Elmswell r. station, and 6¾ E by N of Bury, St. Edmunds; and has a post-office under Bury, St. Edmunds. The parish comprises 2, 449 acres. Real property, £4, 617. Pop., 948. Houses, 208. Littlehaugh is the seat of P. Huddleston, Esq. A search for gold was made in the time of Henry VIII. The parish is a meet for the Suffolk hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £611.* Patron, St. Peter's College, Cambridge. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Norton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Suffolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Norton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Norton".