In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Astwell like this:
ASTWELL, a hamlet in Wappenham parish, Northampton; on an affluent of the river Tove, 6 miles NNE of Brackley. Real property, with Falcutt, £2,465. Pop., 83. Houses, 12. The property belonged formerly to the Billing, the Lovett, and the Ferrers families, and belongs now to the Duke of Buckingham. The old seat of the Earl of Ferrers still stands, and is now used as a farmhouse. The hamlet is a resort of sportsmen.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Astwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Northamptonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Astwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Astwell in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Astwell".