In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nayland like this:
NAYLAND, or Neyland, a village and a parish in Sudbury district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Stour, at the boundary with Essex, 5 miles E of Bures r. station, and 8½ S E of Sudbury; is a large place; was once a market-town; has a post-office‡ under Colchester, and a fair on the Wednesday after 2 Oct.; and gave the title of Baron to the Westons. The parish comprises 941 acres. Real property, £4,083. Pop. in 1851, 1, 153; in 1861, 1,061. Houses, 250. The decrease of pop. ...
was caused partly by the closing of silk-mills. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Hubertde Burgh, passed to the Scroops, and belongs now to Sir Charles R. Rowley, Bart. The Stour is navigable hither, and is crossed here by a bridge. A trade is carried on in corn, coals, and timber; and there are maltings, a brewery, a large corn mill, and a silk-winding mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £139.* Patron, SirR. Rowley, Bart. The church is later English, and large; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; has a porch built by Abel, a clothier; and contains five double-canopied brasses, and some other brasses. There are an Independent chapel, erected in 1865, a literary institution, established about 1855, a national school, a British school, and charities £200.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nayland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nayland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nayland, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nayland".