In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Doncaster like this:
Doncaster, mun. bor., market town, par., and township, S. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, on river Don, and on the line of the ancient Roman road of Watling Street, 32 miles S. of York and 156 miles N. of London by rail -- par., 10,197 ac., pop. 25,887; bor. and township, 1691 ac., pop. 21,139; 4 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. D. was the Danum of the Romans and the Dona Ceastre (Camp on the Don) of the Saxons. Previous to the Reformation it was the seat of several monastic establishments. ...
Its corn market is of considerable importance, and its trade is mainly agricultural; it has, however, mfrs. of canvas, sacks, and ropes, some iron and brass foundries, and agricultural implement works, besides the extensive locomotive and carriage works of the Great Northern Ry. About 1 mile to the SE. of the town is the racecourse, one of the oldest and finest in the kingdom.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Doncaster has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Doncaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Doncaster and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doncaster in West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Doncaster".