In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nacton like this:
NACTON, a village and a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Orwell, 4½ miles S E of Ipswich r. station; and has a post-office under Ipswich. The parish is sometimes regarded as including the extra-parochial places of Alnesbourn Priory and Purdis-Farm. Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial places, 2, 383; of which 500 are water. Real property, £3, 326. Pop., exclusive of the extra-parochialplaces, 580. Houses, 94. Pop., inclusive of the places, 660. ...
Houses, 109. The manor belonged to the Fastolfs, and passed to the Brokes. Broke Hall, a very finemansion, is the seat of the Brokes; and Orwell Park, a fine brick building, is the seat of G. Tomline, Esq. An Augustinian friary was at Alnesbourn. There are severalcrag pits, and several tumuli. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Levington, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £296.* Patrons, the Trustees of the Rector. The church is a rubble building; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and has recently been repaired. The Woodbridge workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 160 inmates.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nacton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nacton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nacton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nacton".