In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Metfield like this:
METFIELD, a village and a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk. The village stands 2¼ miles SE of the river Waveney, at the boundary with Suffolk, and 4½ NE by E of Harleston r. station; and has a post office under Harleston. The parish comprises 2,162 acres. Real property, £3,762. ...
Pop., 663. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Metfield Hall, belongs to Mrs. Rayley. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £80.* Patrons, the Parishioners. The church is old but good: and consists of nave and chancel with a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed national school with £26 a year, and some small charities.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Metfield in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Metfield ".