In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lidgate like this:
LIDGATE, or LYDGATE, a village and a parish in the district of Newmarket and county of Suffolk. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 6 miles S by W of Higham r. station, and 6½ SE of Newmarket; and has a post office under Newmarket.The parish comprises 1,780 acres. Real property, £3,120. Pop., 443. Houses, 99. The property is divided chiefly among four. The manor belonged to Richard ' ' sans Nose; ''was given by him to Bury abbey; and belongs now to W.Kitchiner, Esq. ...
Remains exist of a castle, which belonged to the Earl of Pembroke, in the time of Edward III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £485.* Patron, the Rev. Robert H. Cave. The church is ancient; was restored partly in 1853, and further in 1863; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are an Independent chapel, a parochial school, and charities £15. John of Lidgate, a poet of the 15th century, and a monk of Bury abbey, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lidgate has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lidgate and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lidgate, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lidgate".