In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Water Newton like this:
NEWTON-WATER, a village and a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands on the river Nen at the boundary with Northamptonshire, ¾ of a mile E of Ermine-street, 1¼ E S E of Wansford r. station, and 6 W of Peterborough; and has a post-office under Wansford. The parish comprises 863 acres. Real property, £1, 831. Pop., 149. Houses, 31. A Roman station is supposed to have beenhere; and numerous Roman coins and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270.* Patron, E. S. Knipe, Esq. The church is early English, in good condition; has a tower and spire; and contains a curious monument.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Water Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Huntingdonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Water Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Water Newton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Water Newton".