Place:


Granby  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Granby like this:

GRANBY, a village and a parish in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands near the source of the river Devon, near the Grantham canal, and near the boundary with Leicester, 2½ miles NNE of Elton r. station, and 4 SE by E of Bingham; and has a post office under Nottingham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Sutton. ...


Acres, 2, 420. Real property, £3, 721. Pop., 479. Houses, 108. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland, and gives him the title of Marquis. Gypsum is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £123.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is ancient and tolerable; and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Granby through time

Granby is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Granby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Granby, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7420

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Granby ".