In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Staughton like this:
STAUGHTON (Great), a parish, with several hamlets, in St. Neots district, Hunts; 3 miles SE of Kimbolton r. station. It has a post-office under St. Neots. Acres, 5,940. Real property, £8,900. Pop., 1,312. Houses, 297. The property is much subdivided. S. House and Gaines Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good. There are two Baptist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £49.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Staughton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Huntingdonshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Staughton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Staughton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Staughton".