In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Honiton like this:
Honiton, mun. bor., market town, and par., with ry. sta., E. Devon, 16½ miles NE. of Exeter and 156 miles SW. of London, 3066 ac., pop. 3358; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The town is situated in the valley of the Otter, and is well built. It gives its name to the fine lace, the making of which forms one of the industries of the district. Brewing, malting, iron-founding, and turning are carried on to a slight extent, and there are also mfrs. of bricks, tiles, and brown pottery ware.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Honiton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Honiton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Honiton in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Honiton".