Place:


Ludgvan Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ludgvan like this:

LUDGVAN, or LUDJAN, a village and a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall. The Village stands on a rising ground, 1 mile WNW of Marazion r. station, and 3 NE of Penzance; was anciently called Ludaham; commands a charming view southward over St. Michael's mount and bay; and has a post office under Penzance, and a cattle fair on 2 Oct. The parish contains also Crowlas hamlet, and several other hamlets. Acres, 4,584; of which 40 are water. Real property, £6,984; of which £418 are in railways. ...


Pop., 3,480. Houses, 673. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the Earl of Mortaigne; passed to the Ferrers, the Champernownes, the Willoughbys de Broke, and the Paulets; and belongs now to J. J. Rogers, Esq. Varfell was the residence of Sir Humphrey Davy, in his early years; and belonged, for several generations, to his ancestors. Mining operations are largely carried on. Granitic and schistose rocks abound; and tin and copper ores are obtained. A granitic rock very rich in mica, and known as Ludgvan stone, was once in much request, but appears to be now exhausted. A ditched-ditched camp, called Castle-an-Dinas, and measuring 436 feet in diameter, occupies the summit of the highest hill, and commands extensive views. Earthworks, thrown up by the parliamentarian force, at the siege of St. Michael's mount, are on the road to Marazion. A mineral spring is at Collurian. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £800. Patron. alternately the Duke of Cleveland and the Earl of Sandwich. The church has a fine Norman arch; was repaired and enlarged in 1840; and contains tablets of the Davy family, and the remains of Dr. Borlase, author of the "Antiquities and Natural History of Cornwall, ''and for 52 years rector of the parish. There are six chapels for Wesleyans, two for Primitive Methodists, one for Bible Christians, a national school, and charities £4. Remains of an ancient chapel are at Collurian.

Ludgvan through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ludgvan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Penwith. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ludgvan and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ludgvan, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/735

Date accessed: 22nd September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ludgvan".