In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Costock like this:
COSTOCK, or Cortlingstock, a parish in the district of Loughborough and county of Nottingham; on an affluent of the river Soar, adjacent to the boundary with Leicester, 4¾ miles E of Kegworth r. station, and 8¾ S of Nottingham. Post town, East Leake, under Loughborough. Acres, 1, 320. Real property, £2, 648. Pop., 440. Houses, 103. The property is divided among a few. Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £395.* Patron, the Rev.S. Millard. The church is ungainly but good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Costock has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rushcliffe. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Costock and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Costock, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Costock".